Rights and Responsibilities - Lawrence Library Policies
- Library cards may be picked up, at no cost for Massachusetts residents, at the Circulation Desk. Proper identification is required.
- No material may be checked out without a card.
- If a Library Card is lost, a new one can be obtained for $2.
- Non-Massachusetts residents may also obtain cards for a fee of $50 per year.
Loan Periods and Fines
- Books, CDs, and audio books may be borrowed for three weeks. Magazines and DVDs may be borrowed for one week.
- The overdue charge is ten cents per item per day. There is no grace period.
- One renewals is allowed if the materials are not being requested by another borrower.
- Items reserved or requested will be held at the Circulation Desk for one week.
- Patrons may borrow up to ten DVDs or CDs at one time.
- Late DVDs accrue a fine of $1 a day per item.
- DVDs and CDs may be left in the Book Drop but they are fragile so we ask for your help to protect them by securing with an elastic or placed in a padded envelope.
- The library has passes for either a free admission or a reduced admission to many area museums and attractions. These are purchased for the library through the generosity of the Friends of the Lawrence Library.
- Borrowers may reserve a pass in advance of the desired date by reserving online or calling 978-433-0330.
- Borrowers may use only one pass on any given day.
- Passes must be returned in the library pouch before the library opens the next business day. Pouches may be left in the Book Drop.
- Late passes accrue a fine of $2 per day.
Lost or Damaged Materials/Loss of Privileges
- A borrower who loses or damages library material should discuss replacement costs with the librarian or Circulation Staff.
- Patrons with $10 or more in unpaid fines or lost items will have their account automatically blocked.
Fines and Fees
Video Games and DVDs, $1.00 per day - maximum of $10.00 per item
Books, magazines, audio books and CDs -$0.10 per day, maximum of $10.00 per item
Museum Passes $2.00 per day
Items are due on the due date before the library closes. Items returned on the due date after the library closes (in the book drop)will be checked in when we reopen and will be subject to fines.
Items from other libraries may have different loan periods and different fines than those stated above.
Lost and Damaged Items
Borrowers returning damaged material will be required to pay “lost” charges.
If the item can be replaced the borrower is required to pay the current, replacement price.
Items which are Out of Print will be priced according to the following schedule. In all cases the Library will strive to arrive at a fair price. When an item is replaced due to loss or damage all late fines are waived.
Out of Print Replacement Costs:
- Adult Fiction $25
- Paperback Fiction $7
- Trade Paperbacks $15
- Hardcover Non-Fiction $30
- Paperback Non-Fiction $20
- Oversize $50
- Large Type Hardcover $25
- Children’s Paperbacks $5
- Boardbooks $5
- Teen and Children’s Hardcover $17
- Magazine $5
- Music CDs $18
- DVDs - $25
- Videos $15
- Museum Passes-----depends on the specific museum’s policy regarding replacement.
- Audio books, Music CDs, Video Games and Playaways-----replacement prices vary
- Individual audio book CDs are priced $7
PLEASE NOTE: All videos, DVDs and CDs are used at the borrower’s own risk.
The library assumes no responsibility for damaged equipment.