History and Genealogy Room
The History & Genealogy Room is located on the mezzanine level of the Lawrence Library in Pepperell, Massachusetts. Collections housed in this room consist of
- Numerous New England town histories
- Vital records
- Published & unpublished genealogies of families from the area
- Essential source materials
- Fold3: a military record database
- Heritage Quest: a comprehensive treasury of American genealogical sources.
Users of the collections have full Internet access, printing and photocopying capability. The room is both temperature and humidity controlled to preserve the collections.
Open during normal hours of operation.
Any person is permitted to use the materials housed in the History & Genealogy Room. Collections are used under special restrictions and may not be removed from the area. Before beginning research everyone is required to sign the Research & Guest Register.
The room is staffed by volunteers experienced in genealogical research. Library staff is also available to assist all users of the collection.
Restrictions on Use
Materials must be used in the History and Genealogy Room. Careful photocopying is permitted. Smoking, beverages, and the use of pens are not permitted when using any of the special collections. Care must be exercised at all times when handling materials.
This collection is continually expanding and we welcome suggestions for future purchases. Unpublished family genealogies are limited to local towns.
Available on CD-ROM is the U.S. Census for all 50 states covering early colonial times and the years 1790 to 1880. On microfilm there are census records of 1850-1920 limited to Middlesex County, as well as voter registrations for the town of Pepperell from 1930 to the present.
Standard as well as current source materials are available to the researcher:
- The Compendium of American Genealogy
- Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy
- Printed Sources: A Guide to Published Genealogical Records
- Search for Missing Friends
- Ship Passenger Lists
- Genealogical Dictionary of New England by Savage
- Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors of the Revolutionary War
- Redbook: American State, County and Town Sources
- Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research published by NEHGS
- New England Historical & Genealogical Register Index of Persons
- Massachusetts Vital Records
|MA A-G||MA H-Q||MA R-Z|